Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Disneyland, yes, that one is in California!

Matt had a conference to attend in Anaheim for 8 days, and after much debate and travel research and hemming and hawing, I decided to fly out to meet him for the weekend (no kids!). Mom volunteered to keep Luke (I guess I call it volunteering?). Jean volunteered to keep Joshua and Caleb, and Mimi volunteered to keep Joshua and Caleb during the day while Jean went to school. We had all of our plans laid out. This included me taking Jake and Jenna (see earlier post) back to meet Danny and Kim when I went to the airport to fly out to LA. It was rainy and miserable both here and in California. Oh well, it was still a weekend with just Matt, and those don't come along very often.
Anyway, I flew out on Thursday, and Saturday, Jean got the flu. So, best laid plans out the window. The boys were moved to Mimi's for the remainder of the weekend. Luke and Mom got along beautifully, so much so that I'm not sure Luke really wanted to come home! Caleb is so independent that he wouldn't even talk to me on the phone ("I'll talk to her later.") Joshua is my sweetheart, he was worried when I hadn't called, so he called and left me the sweetest message on my cell phone ("So, call me when you get off the plane, I love you. Bye"). Matt and I had a great time. We started by having dinner at the Cheesecake Factory, yum! We spent 14 hours in Disneyland / California Adventures. They only have two parks, but it's basically all the best rides from all of Orlando's four parks, so it's like visiting all four Disney World parks in one day...compared to DW Magic Kingdom - we saw FantasyLand, Space Mtn, Buzz Lightyear, Pirates of the Caribbean; from Epcot - we saw Soarin' (CA version), Turtle talk with Crush; from MGM - we saw Star Tours, Tower of Terror, Aladdin stage show; and from Animal Kingdom - we rode the Indian Jones ride which is the same format as the Dinosaur ride. Unique to DL is the new Finding Nemo submarine ride which was vaguely similar to the old 20,000 leagues under the sea ride they used to have at DW. Sunday morning we visited a local church, and then in the afternoon, we rode down toward San Diego. We accidentally tried to enter Camp Pendleton, oops, and had to make a u-turn just past the guard station. So, we decided that we would just mark it off our list of things to do or see! We watched the sun set over the Pacific ocean during a break in the storms. The waves were huge, and later on the news they said that they were having 15-20 ft waves. Matt really wanted to get his feet in the Pacific, so despite the cold, he walked out the water. Of course, Monday on my way home the sun was shining and the temps were supposed to be in the high 60s. I got a cold (blame the airplane air), and the 3 hour time change was not easy, but it was worth it. I'm ready for Matt to head home too. Joshua keeps asking when he'll be home, and Caleb, well, he's too busy.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Glad you had a fun trip! Busy spring ahead for y'all - enjoy and keep us posted!

Jules said...

Sounds like a great trip (despite the weather and snafu with the caretakers!)!

Glad ya'll had fun :)

Kathleen said...

I know you were like a kid again at Disneyland. I was there in 2007 for a conference, but I didn't get to go to the park. Jealous!