Saturday, February 21, 2009

Ultrasound

We had a 12 week ultrasound to check for Down's syndrome and spina bifida. My midwife said that I was eligible since I'll be 35 when I deliver putting me in the "35 and over" category due to my "advanced maternal age" she said with a laugh. The doctor who oversaw the ultrasound said that they are now offering the screening to everyone since it is low risk and very accurate. They also took blood from my finger and put it on little dots on a test paper. It looked very similar to the PKU test sheet for babies if you've ever seen one of those. My poor finger is still bruised from all the squeezing she did to get the blood on that paper. No wonder little babies scream when the prick and squeeze their heels!

I am thankful to say that both tests came back with no increased risk of defects. So, we are on our way to a healthy baby. I will see this doctor again at the end of March for another ultrasound, and hopefully, we'll be able to answer everyone's important question..."so, is this one going to be a girl?"

Here is a little clip of the ultrasound. They were so nice to give me a CD with pictures and a DVD with the ultrasound. Pretty cool, as I'm used to having to take my own VCR tape and hope that the machine is actually taping.


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing

1 comment:

Tori said...

Wow! Great news! How sweet...and for people to say that that precious little gift growing inside of you is not a baby.