
Joshua thoughtfully overlooking the James River

Joshua showing off his new gun and tricorner hat.

The ferry boats

My bodyguards

Caleb standing guard outside the governor's palace in Williamsburg

The boys in the stocks

Luke with the long gun

Luke looking for the little mouse that ran in front of us in the Indian village

Caleb performing his chores

Joshua and Caleb helping put out new straw in the hen house
We had a great time on our vacation to Williamsburg. The boys were thrilled with the prospect of touring somewhere carrying a gun! We started out by crossing the James River on a ferry boat. Although it was sprinkling when we got on the boat, by the time we crossed the river, it was a sunny day. We spent the afternoon at the recreated Jamestown fort, ships, and Indian village. It was quite muddy from the recent rains, and I can only imagine what it must have been like to live there year ago. We checked into our timeshare, and I was reminded why I love having the points system. I was able to reserve a two bedroom for 5 nights just a couple of miles from Williamsburg, and I still have points left over for a few nights on the beach in the fall. We spent the next two days touring historic Williamsburg. It was really neat hearing the stories of the colonial days and seeing the old houses and places in town. I think the boys even learned a few things on the trip. The following day we visited Yorktown National Park and Victory Center. They had a recreated army camp set up where they shot the cannon and muskets. Again, the boys thought that was "really cool" and "AWESOME". We took the driving tour around the battlefield and stood where Washington stood during the Revolutionary War. The boys earned Junior Ranger badges at Yorktown and Jamestown, of which they were very proud to show off. They had to answer several questions about the sites, and we sometimes had to catch them between running from one place to the other to explain what they were looking for. The last night the resort had a showing of BOLT, so we decided it would be a great way to end the week. We were even treated to popcorn and cokes. The movie was very cute. As an aside, I rented Marley and Me from netflix, but I heard it was little mature for the kids, so Matt and I stayed up late one night to watch it. Boo-hoo...I told myself that I would not cry, but I did anyway. Something about dogs, and the way they wiggle their way into our hearts. I was also especially excited to get to spend some time with Laura and her family. I can't believe it's been 7 years since we've seen each other! We met at a McDonald's with a play area, and while the kids ran wild, the adults were able to visit. Oh how things change when the kids come along! After we left, I remembered that I didn't even take in my camera! We drove all the way home on Saturday, so we could be home for Easter, and that's the next post.
4 comments:
So many historical things to see/do in Virginia...even though the travel is hard on me I am lucky to go to place like Charlottesville every month. So many neat things there. Glad you had a great trip!!
Yay! Fun vacation and very cool you got to meet up with Laura and gang :)
Glad you had a good trip!
That looks like a very good time! It was great to meet you in Nashville. Glad I found your blog again.
Post a Comment