Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Many May Memories

We finished up the month of April with a trip to the Onion Festival. Dad got us tickets to see the Air Show featuring the Blue Angels. Although the storms came in the morning, they still flew in drizzly conditions. The boys were fascinated for a few minutes, then they were more entertained by the earthworms they found.

The Blue Angels
The jet truck
Earthworms

Thomas is nine months old now. He is finally sitting on his own, but he's not interested in crawling. He still loves to sleep and smile.
I attended the homeschooling retreat in Nashville again for the families who use the same curriculum that I use. Since Thomas has decided that he wants to go with me everywhere (he still won't take a bottle and acts as if formula is poisonous), Mom went with me to babysit while I attended the breakout sessions. We had a great time on Friday while we were able to get out and enjoy the sunshine. Then, it started raining and raining and raining. Yes, it was the weekend of the flood, and we were staying in the Opryland Hotel. Thankfully, we checked out Sunday morning and managed to get around the flooded interstates. The Opryland Hotel flooded Sunday night. I was so sad for everyone, but I especially keep thinking of all the nice employees I met at the Opryland Hotel and Opry Mills while we were there. We had a trip planned to Nashville in June for one of Matt's conferences, but we were planning to stay at our timeshare which was next to Opryland. It flooded also. Matt will be attending the conference now and staying at the hotel where the conference will be held which was not flooded.
Two days before the flooding
Poor guy, swollen from poison ivy with braces
Joshua's face healed up enough that he was able to do his piano recital without wearing a bag (as he was considering). He has really come along well with his piano this year, and next year I expect great things as we are going to private lessons rather than through the school.
My little boy, Luke, turned 4 this weekend. He was so excited to have a Batman cake "on a zip line". He is such a happy fellow with just a touch of attitude.
Happy 4th birthday
We plan to enjoy this summer around the house. The boys will be in a play at the local theater. I found a water slide on clearance at the end of last season. The boys have been anxiously waiting through the winter to get it out. Finally, last weekend it was warm enough to set it up. They had so much fun, and I know that we will get a lot of use out of it this summer!
Party at our house!

We have mud swallows that have taken up residence on our house. We have a nest on the back of the house that the birds have returned to for the past couple of years. Matt doesn't mind that one too much. But, this year another set of birds have built a nest on our front porch. I guess word has gotten around that we are a pretty nice family! I have read that mud swallows are very faithful to return to their nests each year. The ones on the back certainly have, so we'll see what these on the front of the house do next year.
Happy, messy mud swallows

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Any luck with a sippy cup? Glad you got out of Nashville safely; I love that city and hopefully it recovers soon.

Jules said...

Sounds like you have a super fun summer planned, can't wait to read your updates!