Sunday, June 10, 2007

Summer's here!

I think someone told my boys that it is officially summer. They have been quick to light my fuse, and recently, it has been short. I've been trying to figure out why the past two weeks have been the most tedious of the past 7 months since I've been home full-time. I have decided that since we got out of "school" that we have been thrown off our routine. We were committed to starting school at 9:00 and finishing around 11:00 which took up most of the morning. Now, we goof off most of the morning and by afternoon, we all have cabin fever. I find the cabin fever comment funny to myself, because we have only stayed home all day twice in the past two weeks. Anyway, we are still in a rut! I am thinking of letting the boys go to vacation bible school next week in the mornings so that I can try to get my act together. We have plenty of stuff going on, so it's not like we are truly bored...I just can't figure it out.

We have been swimming at Mom's neighborhood a couple of times. We have been to the library a couple of times. We spent 2 1/2 hours at the local super wal-mart, ugh. I thought it would be better to make one long trip instead of several mini-trips. The jury is still out on that one. We even had to stop for a snack/potty break halfway through. We've been to the park, and last weekend, we went to Andrew's birthday party. He's 9 now and just 2" shorter than me. He's a big boy. Let's see...oh, we've also been to the local free movies twice already - Garfield 2 and Open Season.

Matt has been working with a friend on finishing the sheet rock in the basement. Joshua is so excited that they are working on it. He has already picked out a room that he wants to move into. I guess the bunk bed with Caleb just isn't cutting it. I don't really think he'll make it one night in the basement without Caleb, but that bunk bed isn't moving very easily! Joshua is always making Caleb touch the bug first or go into the dark room first, etc. And Caleb is usually right up to the challenge, poor kid, he doesn't even realize that he's being manipulated!

For the rest of the summer, we have a vacation coming up, swim camp, soccer camp, and vacation bible school at our church. Not to mention, two very important nieces that we are expecting near the end of July! We just hope that we don't get the calls on the same day, because we can't be two places at once, and that will make a tough time deciding whose birthday party to attend in upcoming years.

Jean has finished round 1 of chemo. She was able to complete the every three weeks chemo at full strength and on time for each round. The doctors say that is very unusual. She went to Houston to see her doctor last week, and he said that she is ahead of the game, so to speak. He was very pleased at her progress. Although she had been praying for the cancer to be all gone, the doctor was very encouraging. She is now in round 2, taking a weekly chemo treatment of taxol here locally, which is very mild on her body compared to what she was taking. We were able to have lunch at her house after church today on what would have been her "down" day following the other stuff which was nicknamed "the red devil". She has to make a trip to Houston in the middle of July for a checkup and following 12 weeks of the taxol, they will schedule her mastectomy. A few weeks following that she will have 22 days of radiation in Houston. She is tired quite often, but she appreciates the prayers that she knows are going up for her.

No comments: