Sunday, May 18, 2008

Appendicitis

Yes, appendicitis and surgery all in an 18 hour period.
Matt woke up at 2:30 am Saturday morning with a terrible stomach ache. He thought maybe it was food poisoning, but he never had any of the usual symptoms, except the pain in his stomach. Finally, about 6:30 am, he said that he needed to go the ER. The ER doctor said that it was probably either the gall bladder, kidney stones, or appendix. We thought it would turn out to be a kidney stone. The ultrasound showed the gall bladder was fine. The CT scan didn't show a kidney stone but confirmed that it was the appendix. The ER doctor sort of stuck her head in the door (by now it was about 2:00 pm) and said, "yes, it's your appendix, I've called in the surgeon and the OR team will be assembling." I'm sure that I had a very shocked look on my face. I never really imagined that Matt would be going to surgery! Thankfully, they had not let him eat or drink anything all day. By 4:00, they took Matt back for surgery, he was in a room by 6:30, and we were able to come home at 8:00. 13 hours in the hospital, what a way to spend a Saturday! So, we didn't make it to Jake's party, bummer. Matt is pretty stiff today, but he's recovering well.
Crazy.

3 comments:

Jules said...

Oh no! What a day! Wishing Matt a speedy recovery.

Amanda said...

Yikes - not the funnest way to spend a weekend but I am glad Matt is OK. You just tell him he is lucky it wasn't his tonsils ;)

Hope Luke had a wonderful birthday!

Takoma Volpe said...

Oh my goodness, Debbie! What a surprise! I'm glad Matt is doing ok now.

Love, Laura