I've been trying to decide when to update with our latest information. Maybe I was hoping that it would just go away. It's not that easy...Jean's cancer has returned. From the latest scan, it looks like it involves her liver and lymph nodes in her lungs. She had a dose of chemo in TX during her visit, and she will have another here in three weeks before returning to TX in another three weeks for more tests to determine how the cancer is reacting. She is scheduled to have another chemo while she is out there, either the same meds or new, depending on the results, I assume. Her flights are out on Aug 25 and back on Aug 27. My due date is the 27th, and she has already told me not to have this baby while she is gone. My midwife said that in "social circumstances" that she would be up for an induction if my body is favorable at 39 weeks. I'm not crazy about the idea of an induction, so I'm hoping that we have some guidance when that time comes.
Mimi's latest scans showed that her chemo is keeping her cancer in check with some spots maybe getting smaller. I don't know when she will have scans again, but she continues with chemo every week with every 4th week off. She seems to be feeling well, and she is still working. We are so grateful that she is tolerating this treatment well and is able to continue her daily tasks.
Cancer is so life disrupting. I am truly burdened by all the cancer cases that surround us. We had a special prayer service at church last weekend to pray for Jean and Mimi and others with health issues. It was so emotional. It was open prayer, and Joshua even said a prayer and said thank you that Nana and Mimi are here with us. We have not talked details with him, but he is sensitive enough to get the idea of what is going on. I wish that I could protect my boys from the pain of this world, but I know it's not going to happen. They don't seem bothered by the fact that some medicines make you lose your hair, and although it's good for them to understand this, especially when we are in public, it still bothers me.
We are also keeping in our prayers two friends from college, Joshua's 9 yo classmate, and a college friend's father - all with cancer. We're praying for a cure.
Lap loom
13 years ago
4 comments:
Debbie, I am so sorry to hear about Jean. I hope and pray she will respond well to her treatments and get better soon.
Debbie, What awful news. I just updated my blog with how much I lament cancer, and reading yours, I just feel so angry and helpless. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help your family with this. Maybe it'll help as I watch my list grow...our prayers are with Jean.
Laura
My thoughts and prayers are with your family. I just heard that Johnny Whited's dad passed away last week from lung cancer. Jean and Mimi are strong women as well as courageous. And they will both be so happy to meet their newest grand (and great-grand) baby!!
Hey Deb. I'm just reading this. Sorry to hear about Jean. I will keep her and Mimi in my prayers. Cancer is everywhere, and it's rough! Hey, don't let them induce you if you can avoid it. I'd make them wait a week past the due date, if I were you. I was 10 days post due before I was induced. It's your body and your baby. Do what you want!!!
Post a Comment