Last week, Caleb came to me crying and holding his arm. I got him to calm down enough to tell me that he had fallen from the bunk bed ladder while he was trying to get Joshua's blanket. He knows that he is not supposed to climb on the bunk bed, but that was beside the point at the time. I just knew his arm was broken, so we called the dr. office and headed that direction. At the office, he started climbing around and playing, so Matt and I thought he was okay. When the dr. saw him, she was concerned that he cried everytime that she pressed on the same place along the length of his arm, so she put a brace on him and sent us for x-rays. At that point, again, I thought his arm was broken. No fracture on the x-ray, so we were happy! Then, this week, he comes to me and says that he fell off the counter. He seems okay, so we continue to get ready for school. About 5 minutes before we leave for school, he starts crying and complaining about his neck hurting. This continues all day and even gets worse, so we head to the dr. office again. This time, I wasn't concerned about anything being broken, but I just wanted some consolation from the dr. (and drugs!). After the dr. examined him, the dr. left the room. He came back and said, "I don't want to scare you, but since you didn't see him fall, he could have hit his head and may have bleeding at the base of his brain, I want to send you for a CT scan." WOW. So, again I called Matt and we headed to the hospital. By this time, Caleb would not lift his ear off his shoulder or turn his head. My gut felt that he just had a strained muscle, but the dr. had instilled just a bit of fear in me. The CT scan went really well, since it was 6:00 at night, there were only a couple of nurses and us. They really doted on him and called him "pumpkin" and let him ride in the "spaceship" and made a turkey from a blown up glove. About 15 minutes later, the dr. called with the results, no bleeding, so it must have been a muscle. We gave him tylenol with codeine that night and the next day he was much better! Then, last night, Caleb wakes up at 4:00 am and proceeds to throw up in his bed. So, now it seems to be a stomach bug. There is never a dull moment with Caleb. He has drank some Sprite and seems to be feeling a little better, he just climbed over the couch!
1 comment:
I know that it is discouraging to spend so much on medical expenses. It is just one of those things that we don't always have enough budgeted for, but the Lord always provides.
Post a Comment