Monday, May 21, 2007

Our Date Night

As I said in my Mother's Day post, Matt arranged for a babysitter to come to our house and keep the boys so we could go out on a date. Allyson is a wonderful young lady that we know from church. She is a freshman in college pursuing a nursing degree, and she helps me every week in the nursery at church and has known the boys since Joshua was one. All that being said, I still felt nervous about leaving them alone with her! I think I was more worried for her than them! They have always stayed with Grandma, Nana and Papa, Mimi or Charlie/Tori when we have had need of babysitters. Anyway, back to the date...she arrived precisely on time with a pizza. I gave her all the directions while Matt rolled his eyes and told me that I should have written them down, well, I'm new at all this! I gave her our cell phone numbers and told her that boys should all go to bed around 8:00. Matt and I headed out the door, it was 5:05, and I thought, well, she's got less than 3 hours to some peace! We went to a nearby town, Clarkesville, and ate at "The Attic". A quaint little restaurant that I have been wanting to try. I had heard that the owner cooks every meal himself, and that the wait can be up to 2 hours. We had never wanted to chance that with the boys, so this was a great chance to try the place. We were immediately seated and waited on. The food arrived fairly quickly after the salad and bread. I had the pecan crusted trout with white cheddar grits and Matt had a ribeye with a loaded sweet potato, caramel sauce and toasted marshmallows. It was great! We were in and out in a little over an hour, so we headed to Helen for a game of putt-putt. They have a new course in town, Pirate's Cove, and I thought that Joshua would love it. I may have to take him back sometime. Then we walked around Helen and tasted sweets at Hansel and Gretel's candy shoppe. At 8:00, my cell phone rang, and of course, I thought the worst! Allyson just needed to know what to give Luke to drink before putting him to bed, whew! We finished up our walk and headed back home, but not before stopping at the DQ for some ice cream. We got home about 9:30 (you know me, the night owl, ha!). Allyson was reading a magazine. She said, "you know, I thought this must be how Matt and Debbie feel when they get the boys in bed, it's so quiet!" She even cleaned up, did the dishes, and offered to keep them anytime, without pay! She said that she wouldn't do it for just anybody, she's so sweet! It was a nice date, and we'll have to do it again sometime.

2 comments:

Takoma Volpe said...

Sounds like you two had a great time!! I'll have to follow suit and book a babysitter soon. We don't go out nearly enough.

Jules said...

What a wonderful date, glad you had a good time!